Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A crafter is a crafter.. Even on vacation

Just because we were on vacation doesn't mean I wasn't crafting. This craft has a story to it..
Many, Many years ago (I guess about 5-6 now) MY husband and I were "up north" (for those of you Not in Illinois/Wisconsin this would be the Northern area of Wisconsin around here referred to the North woods) and we at Friends cabin there and came across a tree that had been struck by lightening. The  The tree has been stripped of the bark and the inside of the bark had been instatnly sealed. with a varnish type look. It was just too cool so we had to take some chunks of bark with us. That bark has been at our house up north, and some here in Illinois as well...for the past five years....it just sat there... taking up space.... until now

I got myself a wood burning kit, a beer, and crafty mind and got to work



I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to with it, and I hadn't worked with a wood burning tool in a loooong time, but I thought, 'eh, what the heck" and went to work.



I decided to put "Palmer lake House" and some pine trees. Our house up there is on Palmer lake road and we have always referred to it as that, so it seemed fitting. Throw in some pine trees, and It felt complete. 



We hung it above bay window in the house. It looks wonderful! I think I might take it down and burn the trees a little darker, but it took me five years to do this, so lets hope it doesn't take me another five years to darken up the trees :)



This is also a DIY under $5 project because I got my woodburning kit at a garage sale for 1.00 a few years back, and the bark was free. So if you count the beer for 1.99, it is still under five dollars :)

1 comment:

  1. What a fun sign! Love the cabin feel and what a cool find. That bark is awesome! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete